POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Makehuman 1.0.0 is here! : Re: Makehuman 1.0.0 is here! Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:22:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Makehuman 1.0.0 is here!
From: Chris B
Date: 5 Mar 2009 05:14:08
Message: <49afa5f0@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote in message
news:49af8daa@news.povray.org...

> "Chris B" <nom### [at] nomailcom> schreef in bericht
>>

>> Yes that does sound quite feasible then. So long as it gives you
>> something to tell you the position and orientation of the skull cap on a
>> posed figure?
>>

> Well, it does I suppose, the skull cap being part of the figure's union{}
> or do I understand you wrongly here?

You'd need to be able to get a position vector and an orientation vector
from somewhere. Once an object is defined as a POV-Ray object it can be
difficult to ascertain those things, particularly on a pre-posed model,
where the hairline could be just about anywhere and at any angle.

If you get a mesh or mesh2 object where the head is tilted forwards and
maybe a bit sideways, maybe covered by the figures hands, then all you can
really tell from the hairline and body objects themselves is their minimum
and maximum extents. There's nothing available to POV-Ray to tell it the
orientation of the hairline object or the position of the hair growth centre
(or where a parting has to go etc.).

On the other hand, if Poser gives you anything that fixes the skull position
in 3 places, then that can be used to deduce the orientation of the
hairline. E.g. the positions of the eyes and the top of the spine. These
values could also then be used to get an approximate position for the hair
growth centre point etc.

Regards,
Chris B.